Thursday, July 9, 2009

Campfires, Rollercoasters, and Jet Planes

I asked Pastor Jim what was so great about vacation if you didn’t do anything exciting. I mean why didn’t we go mountain climbing or why didn’t we go ride the rollercoasters? What was so great about watching the sunset by a campfire and watching a sunrise with a strong cup of coffee?

He said that rollercoasters can be fun but that this vacation was about slowing down and giving attention to some of small wonders of life. For example, he pointed to the sky and a jet plane flying thousands of feet above us. “Bear,” he said, “We see these jets everyday but today I seen God at work in his church?” Now, I was confused. “Today, because I have slowed down and relaxed, I was able to marvel at all the different parts and pieces that make that plane fly so smoothly across the sky. The church is like that too. It takes all the members doing as God gifted them to keep the church moving smoothly.”

I had to think on that for a minute or two as we watched the plane disappear into the clouds. The church should work as smoothly as a jet flying across the sky and all her members must function in unity. And that is the Bear Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment